Friday, June 21, 2013

Deep Thoughts About Punctuation

You know writing may be your ideal profession when a book about punctuation is among your favorites.  The book Eats Shoots and Leaves is a popular classic on commas and such, and I highly recommend it.  But for many people, I realize, punctuation is nothing short of a necessary evil. 

Don't make the mistake of thinking the proper use of commas isn't a big deal on the Internet.  There are readers who can spot misplaced or just plain missing punctuation with ease, and it can take away from a website's credibility.

There have probably been countless analogies to illustrate how important punctuation is.  Stephen King compared it to tools in the writing toolbox in his volume On Writing
"Some grammarians have the analogy of stitching:  punctuation as the basting that holds the fabric of language in shape."  -- from Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss
When I think about punctuation, I invariably think of my English court reporting instructor, Mrs. Reed.  She was like an Army  sergeant, drilling sentence structure, comma usage, and all things punctuation into our brains.  It really stuck, mostly because my fellow students and I came to understand the rules of punctuation and their various reasons via fear of the teacher's wrath.

But the punctuation I learned to use as a court reporter isn't the same "style guide" used for printed publications.

Newspaper and magazine editors usually ask writers to use the Associated Press Stylebook, and many publishers prefer the Chicago Manual of Style.  People in business often use the Gregg Reference Manual.

All web writers need to know some version of proper punctuation, not only to turn out professional work but also to make copy easier to read and understand.  If you doubt it, well, did you ever hear about the panda bear that eats, shoots, and leaves?

2 comments:

  1. I love it! You made an article about punctuation interesting to someone who appreciates good grammar, but does not always abide by it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maddie. Awesome. I hope you'll check back because I will soon share tidbits of specific instruction on punctuation that I hope will inspire you to mind your commas and semicolons.

      Much success,
      Stevie

      Delete